+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: nissan vk45de v8 in a 240sx swap.

nissan vk45de v8 in a 240sx swap.

Greetings to everyone, peace to everybody. This is a swap that im doing and I thought I should just share it on here. This is where I am so far, sorry for not having a step by step process. I got this engine from a 2003 vk45de infiniti q45. Didnt like how the 2002-2003 intake manifold looks so i swapped it out for the 2006-up style. I also modified the plenum with a custom set up to adapt the 1990 q45 90mm . Also had to modify the oil pan to sit engine lower in the engine . Ordered my adapter plate from bret at swap-1uz. For those who dont know, the vh45de and the 2002 to 2005 vk45de transmission bolt pattern is identical so the adapter plates thats made for the vh will fit on the engine on that year. [url] I have more pictures will post it later. peace.
    Last edited by nissangeneral; 01-21-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Re: nissan vk45de v8 in a 240sx swap.

Thats good info about the adapter.

more pics on the progress. customized 10 an fuel rail for future intensions. . Still need to make brackets to bolt it to manifold. .

Not bad. Better then my hand work, ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by nismoshawn View Post
    Not bad. Better then my hand work, ha ha.
    lol thanks man.

Are you using a spool gun for your aluminum welding?

Dude, excellent work with modding the aluminum oil pan! So this think looks to not have the little extension sump at the bottom like the vk56. It's really different. Do you think you will be ok with a smaller pan? Like oil wise? It won't be splashing on the crank?

Are you using a spool gun for your aluminum welding?
    naw thats just bad tig welding.

Quote Originally Posted by jakins View Post
    Dude, excellent work with modding the aluminum oil pan! So this think looks to not have the little extension sump at the bottom like the vk56. It's really different. Do you think you will be ok with a smaller pan? Like oil wise? It won't be splashing on the crank?
    Well i retained the oil splash guard so i don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by nissangeneral View Post
    Well i retained the oil splash guard so i don't think so.
    Yeah and the vk45de and the vk56de are two different block.

naw thats just bad tig welding.
    Ic. as long as it holds it doesnt need to be pretty lol. Ive been debating if i want to try a spool gun or fork out the cash for a tig setup that can do aluminum.

Are you using the stock ECU to control the motor?
    I was originally looking into using a VK out or a 2002, but could not find any definitive answers regarding the CanBus.
    As the CanBus talks to everything from the traction control and tranny, to the body for load on the AC and steering pump ect. It's all interconnected.
    Would like to know what you came up just for reference.. in the main time I've got a VH out of a 94.

Ic. as long as it holds it doesnt need to be pretty lol. Ive been debating if i want to try a spool gun or fork out the cash for a tig setup that can do aluminum.
    I say If you can just get the tig welder.

Quote Originally Posted by k_scheeringa View Post
    Are you using the stock ECU to control the motor?
    I was originally looking into using a VK out or a 2002, but could not find any definitive answers regarding the CanBus.
    As the CanBus talks to everything from the traction control and tranny, to the body for load on the AC and steering pump ect. It's all interconnected.
    Would like to know what you came up just for reference.. in the main time I've got a VH out of a 94.
    Well I will be using a full standalone megasquirt 3 with a 5 speed manual so i so I wont need to worry about traction control etc issues.

Makes sense.. I was not considering going stand alone so did not think of Megasquart.
    Good luck with the project and we look forward to seeing more updates.

Well I will be using a full standalone megasquirt 3 with a 5 speed manual so i so I wont need to worry about traction control etc issues.

I wonder if there is a way to run one of these on a VH45 ecu, like ive seen the guys do for VK56s.
    WTB: JDM vh45 headers

Quote Originally Posted by IThaJokaI View Post
    I wonder if there is a way to run one of these on a VH45 ecu, like ive seen the guys do for VK56s.
    I considered this when i had the 2002 i had bought originally for my swap, but i could not find any definitive answers or figure it out.
    If guys are running the VK56 on them, i would hazard a guess that with getting to understand the wiring and ECU enough it could be done..
    Hell anything is possible, it's just the amount of research and trial and error someone is willing to do.

Might as well use a piggy back to control the engine, sounds like way less work.

less work yes, price might be the concern. As long as sensor voltages and stuff are the same, and crank trigger signal, ecu could be repinned to change firing order ect, and then maps altered for fuel, and igntion.

Im leaning toward the tig setup. I tig all the time at work but its usually stainless. suppose i could figure aluminum out.

Im currious on the difference in width demensions ect. It appears the motor is sitting lower and you have more frame rail clearance for headers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast