+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Z32 VH45 Conversion Kit - Discussion

Z32 VH45 Conversion Kit - Discussion

Would you... Average Joe car guy... spend $2000 on a Z32 VH kit that included a rear sump oil pan & pickup tube (manufactured by a reputable oil pan mfr (Moroso, Canton, etc.), engine mounts, and Shorty Headers that connect to stock or aftermarket TT downpipes? All components quality and made in the USA.

You still need to source a trans adaptor, do the wiring on your own, plumb your PS, etc.

I'm serious about this... keep in mind this is limited production stuff, so don't expect that pan to be $200. A Moroso 4G63 pan is ~$550, doesn't include a pickup, and is produced in volume.
    - Stephen

VH/VK? It's an East Coast thing...

If you sent me a PM to figure out your wiring for you and I didn't reply, don't take it personal, I ignore them all.

Re: Z32 VH45 Conversion Kit - Discussion

Honestly, i don't know that many people would. Most people want a cheaper option. Those they want to do it either are in 1 of 2 groups. (1)Those that want, and (2)Those that do! In group 1 they want to have everything done for them. Ready to go drop it in and it's golden. Those in group 2 are people like most on this forum, they get down and dirty with the conversion. Most of the people just don't have the knowledge, or ability to be able to make things like mounts, adapters, etc.

I think the best items would be the mounts and headers. The Pan, as much as everyone will need it, people will be more than happy to hack the crap out of the stock one than pay the $$$ for the aftermarket one.

I think there is a need for the kit. I think it is an unserviced sector of the market and that as the VH grows in ability, popularity, and demand, I think others will start to want to do this conversion. You yourself said many people contacted you about the mounts you made, but of them how many have the coin to pay $2000 for those parts?

That's just my thoughts.
    Forums are for helping!

Quote Originally Posted by chuck View Post
    ...sometimes you have to grow a sack and be a man about driving
    DRIFTBUILD - Built to Perform - Engineered to Outperform
    Custom Fabrication* ~ * Engine Swaps * ~ * VH Specailists

"You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it. "

Project Thor - VH45DETT S13 Build

Check out Lindgren Supercars here

If i owned a z32 i would drop the money in a heart beat to put a vh in it.

Pan yes.
    Custom pick up yes.
    Mounts yes.
    Headers no(i'm buying the $100 header kit).
    PS(i'll make a bracket to make the vg pump work).
    wiring could be q45 ecu/harness(or am I mistaken?).

p.s. I already told you I'd pay good money to have this stuff. When you have it together, let me know.

Personally, I think the mounts and headers would be good parts to make. The mounts have a lot more in the time figuring them out than they do in material and welding. Once the design is done, the fabbing can be done fairly quickly. The header that match up to the Zs exhaust is just sweet.

I think if Moroso or another company would make a pan, it would sell (albeit, in limited numbers). But overall, $2k for the kit really doesnt seem bad!! Compare a well done TT swap with the cost of the kit, vh45, and thats pretty reasonable.

Plus, if a kit was made for the Z, and the VH got more popular, it might be easier to get an after-market going for the motor!!

Quote Originally Posted by 91z View Post
    Personally, I think the mounts and headers(The only reason I am sorta voting against the header deal is because some people might want a turbo vh or twin turbo vh. I would recommend just holding the kits from summit/jegs and if someone orders headers just have the jig that aligns everything. wala ) would be good parts to make. The mounts have a lot more in the time figuring them out than they do in material and welding. Once the design is done, the fabbing can be done fairly quickly. The header that match up to the Zs exhaust....Even if it doesnt, I'll live ... is just sweet.

I think if Moroso or another company would make a pan, it would sell (albeit, in limited numbers). But overall, $2k for the kit really doesnt seem bad!! Compare a well done TT swap with the cost of the kit, vh45, and thats pretty reasonable.

Plus, if a kit was made for the Z, and the VH got more popular, it might be easier to get an after-market going for the motor!!
    That's my 2 cents.

FOR 2k sign me up. I think its alot cheaper than a vg30dett swap.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.greasemonkey View Post
    FOR 2k sign me up. I think its alot cheaper than a vg30dett swap.
    Its not 2k total. Its probably closer to $4k total.

Either way i think there will be people that will buy it and others that won't. Same as the Vh to S-Chassis kits. But we are also in the works for development of mounts and adapters into other cars so hopefully by the end of the year we will have supported items for about 7-8 car groups.
    Forums are for helping!

"You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it. "

nope, and thats to be honest. I'd probably produce an oil pan, but around the 500 mark would probably be a little high for this setup, my last moroso pan was 375(with pickup) and that pan blew my mind by the design.

^^^^ What engine was that for though?
    Forums are for helping!

an fbody ls1, granted, it's a more popular motor, around 400 would be the price i'd pay.

I had a call asking if there was a kit ready for these or if I could make them some parts to fit a Z..... He wanted to order several of them. I say go ahead and make the kits!!
    Forums are for helping!

I am absolutely new to the forum, but I was wondering what is the status of these kits. Been trying to diligently to find somebody who sells them or manufactures one. In all honesty, I the oil pan is nice, but engine mounts are the hardest thing to find. Love the site btw and I am glad I joined.

Whoa, I didn't realize someone else was planning on releasing a VH kit! I have a question, though...why all the talk about an oil pan? With a Wes-style, .25" VG-VH adapter/spacer, the VH45 fits in my Z32 with the stock oil pan and plenty of clearance. there's not much clearance between the lip at the front of the crossmember and the oil pan, maybe 3/8ths of an inch, but then again the polyurethane motor mounts I'm using won't allow it to flex that much longitudinally. Is there something I'm missing here?

Did your machine your own adapter plate, and if so do you have any pictures? If not, do you have a supplier because that would be a lot simpler than redoing the oil pan or crossmember or combination of both.

I have the design for it in Solidworks, and since I'm just test-fitting all the components right now, the transmission is c-clamped to the motor with .25" mild steel spacers so it's dimensionally correct. It'd like to provide it in my VH kit, but I don't wanna hijack Superhatch's thread here so if you want more info PM me.

Yes, in response to O.P.

+ Reply to Thread